Saturday 27 December 2014

How Can Girls Touch Lives at Christmas? - By Tobiloba Chinonso Badmus

It is that time of the year again when we all gather round the tree, celebrating, decorating and singing the songs of the season. It is Christmas. Growing up as a little girl, I remember always looking forward to the end of the year, not because I was lazy but because it was a period of thanksgiving. "Be thankful" mother would say to me "for some have food but cannot eat, some can eat but have no food, you have that food and you can eat, so, be thankful". These words struck me and they do so every day so now I lay in my bed wondering, "What can I do for Christmas?", "how can I touch lives this season?” And mother came, giving quite an answer to my questions she said "you see that little girl over there, who has just two clothes and a pair of sandals, why don't you give her some of your many dresses that you do not wear anymore".

Only then did I realise that that was just one out of the many things I could do to touch lives this season. There are so many orphan homes, why don't you give them some foodstuffs and clothing - both new and fairly used. There is that old lady who lives alone and could really use your help, why don't you go over to her house and help with the cleaning and cooking. Many children lie on the hospital beds , some with a fifty to fifty per cent chance of survival, others with none at all, surely, a visit to them with good news and lots of goodies would be more than appreciated but then, let us not forget that charity begins at home. So, in everything be sure to help your parents, siblings and extended family this season. And now I say to myself, there are a million and one ways to touch lives this season but make sure that that one life you touch has a meaning and makes a difference. Besides no kind act is too small, it always goes a long way.

Toby is 16 years old, and she lives in Lagos, Nigeria. Her above essay clinched 9th place in the Girl Pride Circle Christmas Essay Competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment